O.K., so back to Firefly Lane. I don't want to give away the ending, so I will do my best to just give a brief summary. It is about two girls who wind up living in the same neighborhood and become close friends. They are different from each other in many ways, but they share the need for close friendship and belonging. It starts out in the 70s and follows them through high school, college, marriage, children, etc. One girl, Katie, feels marriage and being at home with her children is important while the other girl, Tully, feels her career is most important. Katie comes from a traditional family where the mom and the dad are together and do family things with their kids. Tully was abandoned by her mom who remains addicted to drugs throughout the story. It was just so good, and I don't even know how to put it into words. It reminded me so much of one of my closest friends from childhood...not that we really had the same backgrounds or beliefs as these girls, but, some of the things they did together just brought back memories of my childhood with her. We grew up on the same street, and even when my family relocated to the country, her family eventually relocated to the same road out in the country too! I would like to talk about how the book ends, but I don't want to give it away! Let me just say that it was an excellent book. Kristin Hannah is a very talented author. This book moved me.
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Book Review - Firefly Lane, Kristin Hannah
O.K., so back to Firefly Lane. I don't want to give away the ending, so I will do my best to just give a brief summary. It is about two girls who wind up living in the same neighborhood and become close friends. They are different from each other in many ways, but they share the need for close friendship and belonging. It starts out in the 70s and follows them through high school, college, marriage, children, etc. One girl, Katie, feels marriage and being at home with her children is important while the other girl, Tully, feels her career is most important. Katie comes from a traditional family where the mom and the dad are together and do family things with their kids. Tully was abandoned by her mom who remains addicted to drugs throughout the story. It was just so good, and I don't even know how to put it into words. It reminded me so much of one of my closest friends from childhood...not that we really had the same backgrounds or beliefs as these girls, but, some of the things they did together just brought back memories of my childhood with her. We grew up on the same street, and even when my family relocated to the country, her family eventually relocated to the same road out in the country too! I would like to talk about how the book ends, but I don't want to give it away! Let me just say that it was an excellent book. Kristin Hannah is a very talented author. This book moved me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I loved growing up on the same street/road as you. I was so sad when you left me in the country to move back to town. I will have to find this book and read it. Miss you!
Post a Comment