
Wednesday's column in the Daily Times Leader:
Cloudy with a Chance of Cheese
Last night’s episode of the Bachelorette took viewers on a trip to New York City. Episode four began with Ali participating in a photo shoot for InStyle magazine. Ali selected Kasey the advertising account executive from Clovis, CA for the first one-on-one date. They flew by helicopter throughout New York City, followed by a picnic in a park. I have always thought Kasey to be different, but he took things to the creepy level Monday night. He started out by telling cameras in one of the private interviews that he felt Ali was “a cocoon in the last season of the Bachelor, but she is now a beautiful butterfly open for love.” What?! Later, he began serenading Ali with what I feel was the worst singing imaginable mixed with the most awful lyrics ever heard on television. My sister referred to his style of singing as reminiscent of Buddy the Elf, and I have to agree 100 percent. It gets worse. They continue on to the American Museum of Natural History where Kasey begins speaking gorilla and later picks up where he left off with the singing. The conversation wasn’t any better. He tells Ali he is on the show to “guard and protect her heart” – a phrase that he repeats about 10 to 15 times on this one particular episode. I guess he thinks if he says it enough, Ali will believe him? The date ends in a way that again, did not follow appropriate Bachelorette procedure – something that sends me over the edge. Ali tells Kasey she doesn’t want to hear his lines – she wants to hear the truth. She worries he isn’t being real. She decides to keep him on the show, but she does not give him a rose. Again, this is not how it works. I think Ali is just making the rules up as she goes, and I don’t agree. It isn’t fair to the other bachelors who have been sent home or the ones who remain.
The group date involved Kirk, Ty, the Weatherman, Frank, Roberto, Jesse and Chris L. This was one of my favorite dates of the season yet because I too adore musicals. The men were asked to learn choreography and sing a few lines from The Lion King in front of some very important people from the staff of this Tony award winning Broadway musical. Ty’s forte is country music, and he is quite a talented singer. However, I assume his country style of singing wasn’t what the judges were looking for in this date. I sincerely hope we get to hear more of Ty singing and playing his guitar. He is ultra talented, and he really shines when he is given the opportunity to sing. Back to the date, Jesse’s style of singing wooed and impressed me. From what ABC showed of this date, I felt he had the best voice for this competition. However, Roberto swooped in and stole the show with his decision to sing while looking at Ali instead of the judges. As the winner of the date, Roberto and Ali were incorporated into the musical for that evening. They learned choreography and were once again lifted off the ground with cables together. Roberto really impressed me with his attitude and his statement that “this (Broadway) is special to me because it is special to Ali.” That is a sign of a caring, genuine and mature man. Bravo, Roberto and encore! Besides Ty, I am pulling for Roberto.
Later in this date, Ali becomes ill and decides not to give out a rose. Kirk escorts Ali to her room where they bond, appropriately. Kirk leaves her alone to recover.
The final one on one date involved Chris L. of Cape Cod. Ali was still feeling quite ill for their scheduled date. She appeared to have a severe head cold. However, she invited Chris to her room to just hang out and talk. Chris brings her flowers and soup. He states that he is “fine with the way things worked out. Married people have to take care of each other at times.” He is exactly right, and he has the right attitude. Later, Ali feels better and they do actually go on their date. It was actually Chris L.’s birthday, and they celebrate with lobster and a phone call home to Chris’ dad. Chris used to live in New York, and he moved home when his mother fell ill. He is very close to his family. Ali states she would “like to marry into that kind of family.” I would have to agree. Chris L. gets a rose, and he deserved one.
Back at the bachelor pad, Kasey is getting creepier and creepier. Since Ali questions Kasey’s sincerity, he comes up with a solution to calm her worries. He disappears for twelve hours to get a tattoo on his arm of a shield protecting a heart with a rose off to the side. When the guys question his whereabouts, he tells them he was in the hospital due to a burn from the oven. Now he is a weirdo and a liar. He later fesses up to the guys, and Frank says “the only thing that tattoo proves is that you are nuts.” Well said, Frank.
Roseless men for this episode were Jesse and the Weatherman. I was sad to see Jesse go. He was one of my top guys, and I liked him even more after he left because of his exit interview. He said that he felt “Ali was a city girl. I want some cows and some acreage, and I can’t wait to see my dogs.” Jesse was a simple, handsome man. He will make someone very happy one day. The Weatherman – he should have gone home a long time ago.
Next week, the guys are headed to Iceland. The previews looked awesome, and I can’t wait to see what is in store for us. Ty contacted me recently, and he appreciates everyone’s support. Please join “The Official Ty Brown Bachelorette Fan Club” on Facebook. Until next week, keep supporting our Mississippi boy! Go Ty!
Reality TV fanatic Nancy Catherine Young was raised in West Point. She is currently the Director of Marketing Communications for McPherson College in McPherson, KS. She enjoys spending time with her husband and son during commercial breaks.
No comments:
Post a Comment