Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mold Confessions, Mumbling and Miniature Horses…Oh My! – The Bachelorette, A Review



Episode 5's recap for the Daily Times Leader:

Mold Confessions, Mumbling and Miniature Horses…Oh My! – The Bachelorette, A Review

What better place to find love than in Iceland, right? ABC takes the 9 bachelors left vying for Ali’s heart on a world wind trip to beautiful Iceland this week for Episode 5. Everyone gets to go on a date this week through either a solo date, a group date or a two on one date. The Bachelorette producers had each guy compete for the one on one date by composing a love poem for Ali in only one hour! The guys were encouraged to learn Icelandic and incorporate some native words into their poems. The poems were actually cute and fun to hear except for Kasey’s and ghost dude’s (Chris N.). Ghost dude, the guy who never talks on camera, finally gets his chance, and he forgets his lines. Everyone else had theirs written on a piece of paper, and Chris N. tried to recite his from memory…not necessary! Kasey’s poem was inaudible and required subtitles. Kirk and Frank learned from Roberto last week, and they performed their poem “to” Ali. She chose Kirk since she had already had a one on one with Frank.

Kirk and Ali get to explore Reykjavik, and it does look like a unique place to vacation. They buy matching sweaters and have lunch where Kirk reveals he has never had a relationship that lasted for more than a year. Ali is concerned about this, but I would have been thrilled! I don’t get it. Ali worries he is holding back a deep, dark secret. Kirk later reveals that this dark secret is that he suffered from mold poisoning in college and almost died. It takes him about 15 minutes to get all of this information out in the open, and I wasn’t as moved as Ali. I have sympathy for tragedy, but what does this have to do with his ability to have a romantic relationship? What is the big deal? He states “Now that she knows where I am coming from, I think she will know where I am going.” Are you going somewhere different due to the mold, Kirk?

Moving on - Roberto, Chris L., Craig, Ty and Frank are selected to go on the group date with Ali. Everyone selects a “Cousin Eddie” had to wear along with matching snowsuits, and they all saddle up for rides on individual miniature ponies. Ty is the only guy who has experience with horses, and he is able to help Ali and the other guys with their equipment. Finally – some Ty camera time! Woohoo! I think Ty’s horse experience helps, but I also think the general nature of the southern gentleman comes into play here. He is just naturally concerned about Ali and everyone else, and he wants to help. After horse riding, Ty continues to help as they all enter a cave for some spelunking - a fancy word for cave exploration. To conclude the date, Ali takes all of the guys to Blue Lagoon which is a hot springs type of swimming area with steam. She reveals a flattering blue bikini and jumps right into the water leaving most of the guys somewhat shocked! Ty gets some alone time with Ali. I didn’t exactly see fireworks, but I am hoping Ty is trying to play hard to get or just being traditional. I think he is playing it smart. Anyone can kiss, and it may not have felt like an appropriate time. Chris L. later gets alone time with Ali, and Frank gets concerned. Ali later tells Frank he needs to step it up on the group dates. As I have said previously, I get weird vibes from Frank. Chris L. – I like him. I don’t see the passion that Ali shares for Roberto with Chris L., but I don’t think he will be going home anytime soon.

The two on one date put Justin “Rated R” and Kasey “Mumbles” in an awkward position considering they don’t get along so well. The Bachelorette is keeping helicopter companies in business this season as Ali and the other two guys were taken on a tour of an active volcano. Ali is later deposited on top of a mountain with the mumbler and the fake wrestler. Justin continuously refers to himself as “Rated R,” and he refers to Ali as a wrestling belt (the traditional prize for winning a wrestling match). He clearly is here for his career.

The highly anticipated tattoo reveal takes place later between Ali and Kasey. She reacts by saying “Your mom is going to kill you.” I am guessing this wasn’t the response he was hoping for with this tattoo. He says “guard and protect your heart” only about six times during his montage. She ends the date by thanking Kasey “for being you.” This is code for not interested. She leaves him alone on the glacier, and Justin gets the rose. Thank you, Ali!

At the elimination cocktail party, Chris N. is once again mute. Ali tries to prompt him for conversation where he reveals a little known fact about him is that he is “funny.” His guilty pleasure is “mexican food.” Wow – he really went out on a limb with these revelations. Not surprisingly, Chris N. is sent home roseless.

Next week, the guys are headed to Turkey. The previews look very steamy with Ali getting a phone call from someone’s current girlfriend. It also appears that Ty and Ali share some more alone time – with kissing. I can’t wait! Tune in next Monday for Episode 6 of the Bachelorette. Until next week, Go Ty!



Reality TV fanatic Nancy Catherine Young was raised in West Point. She is currently the Director of Marketing Communications for McPherson College in McPherson, KS. She enjoys spending time with her husband and son during commercial breaks.

No comments: